Friday, April 12, 2019

TRANSPARENCY

I Was just thinking about – TRANSPARENCY. 

A couple of Biblical truths that often come to mind include the directives in Galatians 6:2-3“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.  For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.”The two factors are (1) the genuine act of literally being involved and concerned about another’s need and/or hardship; and (2) the danger of thinking such a person of need and hardship is lessor, perhaps immature and insignificant because of his/her openness and transparency.

In previous posts, I made mention of and have written about “Chemo-Brain” and/or “Brain-Fog” that can be experienced by cancer patients and their chemotherapy regimen. A book I have written that will soon be published includes the following personal moments that were experienced:
During my difficulty in remembering right words and concentrating, some of the words in Psalm 37 frequently came to mind. When concerns about death and being able to speak again, the words that came to me were: “Fret not...Trust in the Lord...Commit your way to the Lord...Be still...Wait patiently for Him...” (Psalm 37). ‖try not to be critical when I indicate to you that these truths were more easily spoken in the past than they were in the immediacy of treatment. One other struggle was with the concept and practice of transparency. A downside to transparency is that it makes some construe it as a weakness of character. This also is true if one weeps as testimony is given about God’s presence and faithfulness during one’s days of medical treatment and wrestling with the possibility of death. Some people are used to building a wall around themselves and guarding against anyone knowing what is really going on internally and mentally. I often wonder how the genuine Christian can pray intelligently when the layers of veneer are all they can view with another person.”

It may be purely subjective on my part, but when I attempted to return to pulpit ministry, but it was a very emotional time. Why? Because the first diagnosis was that my tongue and voice box might have to be removed. My immediate response was that I would NOT consent to that procedure. As I stood in a pulpit and words were able to be given clearly by me, I could not prevent some weeping while I was speaking. Most people present were understanding and encouraging. But – there was also the austere, non-emotional reaction. It was a clear indication that transparency was not a part of such a one’s DNA (abbreviation for: deoxyribo-nucleic acid). Spiritually, it is good to have an alternative available to one other than the “austere Christian” – First Peter 5:7 (NLT) – “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”

I am blessed by the words in a Hymn written by Fanny Crosby where she shared:
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world’s temptations,
Sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow,
Free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials,
Only a few more tears!

It is good to remember that the love, mercy, grace, compassion and presence of The Lord who is our/my Shepherd.  HE knows and HE cares.

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.

No comments: