Monday, October 8, 2018

HELPLESSNESS


I Was Just Thinking About – HELPLESSNESS.

I have some acquaintances and friends who have expressed a situation where they feel helpless personally, especially when there is  scant interaction from fellow-believers. I was reading a devotional that mentioned seeing flashing lights in the distance while he was driving on a highway, When he arrived at that scene, the road was blocked and traffic was being diverted. However, one could have a quick glimpse of the wreckage of a mangled motorcycle. The writer commented: “I felt concerned, thinking that somewhere there might be a spouse who just got some really bad news. There would be children, parents, and friends who would hear the news, and my heart went out to them.

Biblically speaking, I felt compassion. I was concerned about what had just happened. I may have gotten an A+ for compassion, but unfortunately I had absolutely no capacity to help in the situation. No matter how deeply I felt about it, there was nothing I could do.”

Years ago, there was a young family with three children. The mother was committed to the things of the Lord and being involved in Church activities. Her husband was indifferent and irreligious. When the other made arrangements to present her twin children to the Lord, her husband/father had promised her he would be there. We waited and rearranged the service to see if he would be there as he promised. He never arrived. During that moment, the mother kept glancing behind her to see if her husband would arrive – but – he never did.

It was just a very short time afterwards when I received a call from this mother that her husband had been in an accident on his motorcycle. He actually was killed instantly when he lost control and slid into a steel road barrier that severed his shoulder and neck. I will never forget that funeral and that widow/mother with her three babies. At the funeral, she just shook in sorrow as she sobbed. What can a mother and her babies do at such a time and in such a crisis.

Psalm 46:1 reminds us, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Isaiah 41:10 (NLT), “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” Within the body of believers, the Church, there should be an immediate and continuing response to implement James 1:27 (ESV), “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”

For the person who is experiencing the moments and sense of helplessness, all of these words seem empty and useless. The loss is felt deeply. The issue is real and causes inner fears. Pious words are meaningless unless they are accompanied by deeds and actions. The idea of servanthood is not based upon what a person thinks or says. Servanthood is the reality of what one is becoming and doing! James goes on to write that “faith without works” lacks purpose, reality and usefulness. Prayer separated from ensuing deeds/actions is likewise meaningless to the one enduring a crisis in his/her life. What do you know, think and do?

Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: