Thursday, April 5, 2018

CAN WE TALK?


I Was Just Thinking About – CAN WE TALK?

A few years ago, the comedienne, Joan Rivers, would make use of the question in her act: Can We Talk? This would be followed by a series of quips of one sort or another. If the audience reacted negatively if the quips were raunchy, she would respond: Grow up! 

Last night, I was listening to one of the self-acclaimed leading talk show hosts and he was lamenting that with the repetitious nature of the current news (either real or fake) he had grown weary of it all. He indicated that he really had nothing left to say. His statement was interesting because of his frequent references to God in the several books he has written and published. His approach to God is based upon his Jewish background.

His comments caused me to immediately think of several possibilities that could be introduced to him and his program. The Gospel of John closes with these words (John 21:24-25 – NLT), “This disciple is the one who testifies to these events and has recorded them here. And we know that his account of these things is accurate. Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.”

This also brought to mind the words sung so eloquently by George Beverly Shea, written by Frederick Lehman, The Love of God. The third stanza contains these words: “Could we with ink the ocean fill, And were the skies of parchment made; Were every stalk on earth a quill, And every man a scribe by trade; To write the love of God above Would drain the ocean dry Nor could the scroll contain the whole, Though stretched from sky to sky.”

When I was much younger, Camp Choruses that were popular were aligned in a medley that included: “LET'S TALK ABOUT JESUS, the King of kings is He, The Lord of lords supreme, through all eternity. The great I AM, the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Door, Let's talk about Jesus more and more. ISN'T HE WONDERFUL, wonderful, wonderful, Isn't Jesus my Lord wonderful! Eyes have seen, ears have heard, it's recorded in God's Word, Isn't Jesus my Lord wonderful! WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, JESUS IS TO ME! Counselor, Prince of Peace, Mighty God is He! Saving me, keeping me from all sin and shame. Wonderful is my Redeemer, praise His name. HE IS LORD. He is Lord. He is risen from the dead, and He is Lord. Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess That Jesus Christ is Lord. HIS NAME IS WONDERFUL. His name is Wonderful. His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord. He is the mighty King; Master of everything, His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord. He's the great Shepherd, the Rock of all ages, Almighty God is He. Bow down before Him, praise and adore Him, His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord.”

The words of Paul to Timothy,  Second Timothy 3:8-13, remind us: “Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead…The saying is trustworthy, for: If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful - for he cannot deny himself.” We should always remember the words of Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:32-33, “Everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”

What do all of these things mean for the Biblical Christian today? There is a simple and basic answer: In life, deed and word – let’s live and talk about Jesus more and more.

Prayerfully – consider these things with me!


No comments: