Sunday, February 25, 2018

GAINING STRENGTH

I Was Just Thinking About - GAINING STRENGTH.
Over the years, my wife and I have tried to be supportive of Shriner's Hospital for Children and St. Jude's. Both of these institutions (along with some others) achieve remarkable results from the treatment they provide. If it hadn't been for their tireless and skilled efforts, many children might've just vegetated and not gained sufficient strength and confidence to try physical activities for which they were not physically capable. That which seemed impossible has been transformed so that a child without hands or arms can play a Piano with his feet; another missing a hand and arm is able to play the Cello' etc.
My thoughts shift into the spiritual area where maladies and challenges are present. Is there a possibility that one can gain strength for the journey of life? We should always be encouraged by the promises of God that He will be with His own regardless of the trials of life and the magnitude of the challenges. A promise such as Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV) should readily come to one's mind: "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Notice that which God promises HE WILL do for you: (1) I WILL strengthen; (2) I WILL help; (3) I WILL uphold. Do you believe that? Is it a reality in your daily journey with him? What about the reassurances in Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)? "But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Is this the dynamic for life in Christ that you have embraced and by which you live each day?
We should also give consideration to Second Corinthians 12:8-10 (NKJV) where mentions a thorn in his flesh: "Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me: My grace is sufficient for you, for MY STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS. Therefore, most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG."
There are times when one attempts to bluff his/her way through personal hardships and challenges. There are some reasons for doing so. Among them are the desire for privacy and not wanting to be thought of as a complainer or hypochondriac. However, there has to be a way within the body of Christ where one can unabashedly share inner feelings or needs. Can it be hazardous to do so? Sometimes, yes! Are there genuine souls within the body of believers who truly care about and for others? Gratefully, the answer is yes! On a professional level, especially in ministry, do colleagues manifest the compassion of Christ for one passing through a time of fear or physical need? In some circles, not usually. Why? I think it's because it might take time and involvement in behalf of a fellow-professional, colleague, minister. In such instances, it is a great blessing to know the intimacy of the Lord who never leaves, never forsakes and is never too busy to manifest His compassion.
Granted, some people erect barriers to protect themselves. A recent day in the Fusion Center, I was situated between an older and a younger woman. When the Pastoral Care Representative made her rounds, the older woman said in a dismissive way: "I'm Catholic!" It was her way of saying I don't need or want your Pastoral Care. The younger woman responded much more tersely: "I'm not interested and don't have time!" That was interesting. Her "Don't have time" is a misnomer in a Fusion Room. Chemo administered will take almost five hours. If anything. A person does have time!
I take great comfort in and am encouraged by the words of a Hymn written in 1901 by: Frank E. Graeff,
Does Jesus care when my heart is pained, Too deeply for mirth or song, As the burdens press, and the cares distress And the way grows weary and long?
Refrain: Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; When the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares.
Prayerfully - consider these things with me.

No comments: