Monday, September 5, 2016

THRILL AND AGONY

I Was Just Thinking About - - -
When the ABC’s Wide World Of Sports was first introduced many years ago, part of their introduction utilized a phrase: “The Thrill of Victory and The Agony of Defeat.” An example of this might be the Texas – Notre Dame Football Game last night – won by Texas in double-overtime. It represented two teams with tenacity. In sports, as in life, it can be disheartening to have tried so very hard and yet to just fall short. 
I wonder about all of what the Psalmist had in mind when he penned the words of Psalm 77:5-9, “I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night. My heart meditated and my spirit asked: Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?” 
The Psalmist reflects on a deteriorating change that has taken place. Things are no longer as they once were. Gloom and despair has overwhelmed joy and victory factors. It is as though the death rattle has been heard. He begins to think and wonder. Can the past become the present once again? His appeal in Psalm 77:10-15 is a worthy one: “Then I thought: To this I will appeal: the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds. Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples. With your mighty arm you redeemed your people.”
Rural churches in America face the inevitability of changing demographics and economics. Things are no longer as they once were. What should a rural church do? Will a change in local church philosophy and ministry be the dynamic that should be employed? Too often, it appears a rural church has entered a dead end road – but persists in continuing in that direction. Will a change in the order of worship change the direction? No! Will a new Pastor bring about revitalization? Probably not! Where should a rural church begin? Answer – it begins with the congregants and local leadership rather than employed personnel. Two primary places to simultaneously begin: First – James 5:16, and Second – II Chronicles 7:14. There can be no shortcuts and no substitutes.
Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.

No comments: