Sunday, July 31, 2016

GLORIFYING GOD

I Was Just Thinking About - - -

How important is it to Glorify God? The first question and answer in the Westminster Shorter Catechism is: What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.

The Psalmist prayed (Psalm 86): Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. In Psalm 16:8-9, David asserted: I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices.

The story is told of a Pastor who felt his preached sermon was very significant and delivered superbly. On his way home he asked his wife: “How many great preachers do you believe are in the world today?” She quickly responded: “One less than your thinking about right now!”

In the devotional, Strength for the Journey – July 31, 2016 – there is a reminder about being serious regarding the things God takes seriously. One of those things is to be certain He is being glorified at all times and for all things. The devotional states: “Since all we have is from God, it’s important that we don’t act like we are self-made people. In fact, when King Nebuchadnezzar took God’s glory for himself, he was banished to eating grass in the field like an animal until he got the picture straight about who should get the glory for his power and position (Daniel 4:29-34). And Herod was eaten by worms and died for letting the people call him god (Acts 12:21-23). God takes it seriously when we rob Him of His glory!”

What do you think about when it comes to Glorifying God? 

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me! 

No comments: