Thursday, April 10, 2014

LITTLE WORDS - BIG IMPLICATIONS

From My Perspective - - -

The English language is both complex and expressive. By the means of nuance and inflection, the most innocent remark can be interpreted negatively rather than positively. It lends a lot of credence to the ditty one would sing with the children: “Be careful little mouth what you say…” The reason attached to that (a) the words we use matter greatly, and (b) accountability for every word – idle or intentional – is not a suggestion but a guarantee. 

Two Biblical references that serve as good counsel are: (1) Proverbs 10:19-21 (ESV), “When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. The tongue of the righteous is choice silver; the heart of the wicked is of little worth. The lips of the righteous feed many, but fools die for lack of sense.” (2) The words of Jesus Christ in Matthew 12:36-37, “I tell you, on the Day of Judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." The Proverbs addresses “many words” and Matthew quotes Jesus regarding “every careless word.” It is often the “many words” that will cause misunderstanding and division among friends in particular and cross-sections of people in general. The paraphrase of Matthew 12:36-37 in The Message are descriptive and plain: “Let me tell you something: Every one of these careless words is going to come back to haunt you. There will be a time of Reckoning. Words are powerful; take them seriously. Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation."

In current events, one word that has a “haunting” impact is a word used by the President of the United States. What was the word? It was “Period!” He offered it as an exclamation and a fact in reality. Why is it “haunting”? The statements made with the emphasis “Period!” in actuality were more like a dangling participle or an ellipsis rather than a fact or reality. The President was attempting to persuade people that the new health law would not prevent anyone from keeping their own Doctor and their own Insurance plan. Did that become fact or fiction? Do words matter? Do words matter to you? We should be reminded of the words in Proverbs 15:1-2, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.”

The little words for focus are the words “too” and/or “yet”! Over the years, I have found these words to be invaluable. Some time ago there was the use of BPWMGIDWMY – “Be Patient With Me, God Isn’t Done With Me YET.” Words attributed to John Newton convey a similar thought: “I am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God I am what I am." It is not surprising that he would pen the words to: “Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound; that saved a wretch like me…

The other word for focus and emphasis is the word “too”! Many times in the life of different ones affliction, pain, suffering, sorrow and/or grief can become overbearing and overwhelming. This was a factor in the life of The Apostle Paul. He records it in II Corinthians 12:7-10, “So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” When any of us endures affliction, pain, suffering, sorrow or grief – we should embrace the words of The Lord to Paul – “My grace is sufficient for you…” I remind myself – and you – His Grace is sufficient for you – TOO! The Lord is not done with you YET! The Lord’s Grace is sufficient for you TOO! Consider these things with me! 

No comments: