From My Perspective - - -

What is a Pivotal Moment?  One of the several definitions for pivotal is that it represents something that is “of vital or critical importance: a pivotal event.” The online Self-Improvement Community asks: “What have been the pivotal moments in your life? What have been the real life changing events? The moments of illumination? The moments when you realized something important that would change the course of events to come?” The truth is that every life is marked and filled by pivotal events and moments. Just pause and look back at your personal life – the things that helped shape it; the people who cared and loved you who were a real part of who you were and have become; associates and friends who in one way or another have influenced you; your educational background and professors who took their opportunity seriously and saw something in you – a spark – that needed to be fanned into a flame; the church you attended and the Biblical instruction you received there – these and a host of other factors have all contributed to fashion and shape you into who you are and becoming. I am indebted to several who were willing to invest time and effort into my life. I have much for which I can be thankful as I reflect back upon my formative years.

My wife and I are slowly working on the story of our lives (our children are goading us into “telling all”). It is an interesting process – most of it joyful, some of it painful. There are things in my life experiences that, frankly, I would like to forget or leave forgotten – those hurtful and painful disappointments – the dashed hopes and aspirations. Times like when I appealed to an older and wiser head who listened to me and then advised – “you have great ideals but it would be best if you stuck them in your back pocket – never forget them and never lose them – but remember – they will never become reality.” Those were words uttered at the beginning – after ten years of schooling and great sacrifices – graduating and coming enthusiastically and eagerly to that first place of service – and to be met by those who made a career out of squabbling and bickering over petty things, behaving more like children than maturing adults – who all wanted their own way and several who had a personal agenda. It was a pivotal moment because I had worked very hard to arrive at this point and my beloved and family had sacrificed so greatly – what should one do? If this is how “reality” is, what’s the point of committing one’s life for this task. The commitment my wife and I had willingly made was to go anywhere, at any time, to do any task/work, at any cost. Wow! Was this first experience an introduction to the ramifications of what that commitment meant?

Over the years, we have been privileged to know some outstanding people who influenced our lives. Those good and positive influences far outweigh the negative ones. The great problem with the negative types is they leave so much collateral damage and debris after their pivotal moment. In some ways, its not dissimilar to this nation’s need to cope with the Katrina-type moments, or the Tuscaloosa-Tornado where devastation was left behind its path and the debris was scattered for miles. The disgruntled types never stop to think about collateral damage and the scars that can be left behind. While we tried to protect our children from the harsh and cruel behavior of people, I often wonder and sometimes grieve over the scars that may have occurred and the negative memories that remain from some of the negative pivotal moments. While my wife and I can pray that we and our children will forget those hurtful times, children are very impressionable and I can’t help but wonder about their thoughts in this regard and how it has and is influencing them.

Part of the prayer that my wife and I have embraced, and we continue to pray for the increasing evidence of it, were the words uttered by David and recorded in Psalm 37:23-28, “The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. He is ever lending generously, and his children become a blessing. Turn away from evil and do good; so shall you dwell forever. For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever…” Pivotal Moments come and go – but through them all – the Lord remains constant and faithful. Don’t give up or despair – God knows and He cares!  Consider these things with me!