From My Perspective - - -

The journey into space and landing on the planets – it started with a humble beginning and effort 107 years ago – December 17th, 1903. The history of the Wright Brothers is somewhat ignoble. The sketch and summary of their lives is brief: “The Wright brothers, Orville (August 19, 1871 – January 30, 1948) and Wilbur (April 16, 1867 – May 30, 1912), built and flew the first airplane in human history. The brothers were engineers and tinkerers who founded the Wright Cycle Company in Dayton, Ohio in 1892. While the bicycle business sustained them, they began to experiment with kites, gliders and other flying machines, always with an eye to creating a powered machine that could carry a man aloft. Their first successful flight, with Orville at the controls, took place at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on 17 December 1903. The plane covered 120 feet in about 12 seconds; a short flight, but enough to make history. Others had flown in balloons and gliders, but the Wrights' creation was the first in a manned, motor-powered, heavier-than-air craft.” A small portion of that first aircraft was carried in the Space Suit of Neil Armstrong as he landed and walked on the Moon – 66 years after the successful flight of the Wright Brothers. A favorite poem of most pilots and airmen is High Flight, written by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high un-trespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Robert Crawford is credited with writing the Air Force Song. The second stanza contains these words:
Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,  Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder; How they lived God only knew!
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer  Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before And bombers galore. Hey!  Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

The Psalmist, pausing to muse about his life and God, wrote these thoughts in Psalm 139:7-12,Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there!...If I take the wings of the morning…even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night, even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day…” A Book written in 1945 – God Is My Co-Pilot - an autobiography by Robert Lee Scott, Jr. – tells of his association with the Flying Tigers and the United States Army Air Forces in China and Burma during World War II. At first, he was deemed to be too old (Age 34) to fly combat missions against the Japanese. He persuades Claire Chennault, the leader of the Flying Tigers to let him fly with the airmen who have been fighting the Japanese as a mercenary air force. Scott gets his chance to fight, ultimately engaging successfully in combat with the deadly fictional Japanese pilot known as Tokyo Joe. Question: Is God more than just a co-pilot in your life? Consider these things with me!