Monday, October 11, 2010

The Ego and Me

From My Perspective - - -

Something to think about: How important is the “Me” in your life? Is “Me” the center of attention? Does everything have to go “My” way? What if people want to challenge “Me” and “My” policies and agenda – what should “My” response and reaction be? In recent weeks, a political event rally and primary results raised a thought or two regarding that which drives a politician and how he/she views the election process – and the significance of the “Me” Factor.

First, Senator Murkowski (Republican from Alaska) lost the recent Primary to Joe Miller, a candidate backed by the Tea Party. After the Absentee Ballot Count began, the following news item appeared that quoted Senator Murkowski: "I don't see a scenario where the primary will turn out in my favor, and that is a reality that is before me at this point in time. And for that reason, and for the good of the state of Alaska…I am now conceding the race for the Republican nomination." Note the use of “Me” and “My” in the concession statement: “…”My” favor”; “…the reality that is before “Me” at this time…” However, a few days later she would surface with a new approach to satisfy the “Me” factor. She decided to run as a write-in candidate so “the people of Alaska will have a choice…” What is the error and folly here? The people of Alaska made their choice and she lost by 1,630 votes.

Second, on October 7, 2010 Abby Phillips writes about an event that occurred in Bowie, Maryland and submits a news item: President Obama Rallies Faithful In Maryland. It states: “President Barack Obama’s message to thousands of African Americans who came to see the man they voted for two years ago was simple: Get out and vote for the Democratic ticket in next month’s mid-term elections, even though he’s not on the ballot. Don’t make me look bad, now, he quipped. The campaign by itself didn’t deliver the change that we need. It just gave us the chance to make the change happen, Obama said. We’ve got a lot at stake right now. On November 2nd, I’m going to need you just as fired up as you were in 2008. I hope you’re ready to fight, he said.” The key phrase emphasizing the “Me” Factor is: “Don’t make “Me” look bad, now…”

In 2007, a book was published with a fascinating title: Take Me to Truth; Undoing the Ego by Nouk and Tomas. Among several areas, one that requires remedy is the commitment one has to the “Me” Factor. In an unrelated writing, taken from Beyond the Frontier of the Mind by Osho, the following thought is shared: “Ego - The False Center.” Osho comments: “…you have two centers. One center you come with, which is given by existence itself. That is the self. And the other center, which is created by the society, is the ego. It is a false thing - and it is a very great trick. Through the ego the society is controlling you. You have to behave in a certain way, because only then does the society appreciate you. You have to walk in a certain way; you have to laugh in a certain way; you have to follow certain manners, a morality, a code. Only then will the society appreciate you, and if it doesn't, your ego will be shaken. And when the ego is shaken, you don't know where you are, who you are.” Once again, the “Me” Factor is front and center.

The Apostle Paul understood the dangers and limitations of the “Me” Factor. In Galatians 2:20-21,The Message Translations states: “I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not mine, but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that. Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God's grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily.” He dealt the “Me” Factor and the “Ego” detractor a death blow once and for all. It requires the “I” to be crucified with and to Christ. Being obsessed with the centrality of “Me” is like one standing in quicksand. Consider these things with “Me”? No! Let us consider these things together and learn to walk humbly with our God and Savior!

1 comment:

Martin Murphy said...

An excellent commentary on the worship of self. It reminds me of the great Nebuchadnezzar saying "I am and there is no one else besides me" (Is. 47:10) Thank you for bringing to light that which lifts up the heart.