Thursday, August 20, 2009

Vision

From My Perspective - - -

Every individual should have meaningful anticipations, expectations, goals, dreams and a vision in terms of what might and can be. Lives should not be lived in a vacuum or be satisfied with merely a status quo lifestyle. Three parts of the meaning of vision are: “the act or power of sensing with the eyes; the act or power of anticipating that which will or may come to be; an experience in which a personage, thing, or event appears vividly or credibly to the mind, although not actually present, often under the influence of a divine or other agency…” It is the second of those definitions that captured the imagination and desire of people over the years, and that should serve as a motivation to stretch oneself beyond self-imposed limits.

For instance, just think of HENRY FORD – who became famous for pioneering the assembly line and in the process, becoming the first man to successfully mass produce automobiles; JOHN ROCKEFELLER – who after scratching and scrimping to buy his first oil refinery in 1862, was already a dominant force in the industry by the 1870’s. From there, he almost single-handedly revolutionized the mass market for oil. By offering discounts to the railroads that carried his oil cross-country, Rockefeller was able to, in turn, sell it to customers for low prices that were previously unheard of; ANDREW CARNEGIE - did for steel what John Rockefeller did for oil. But long before that, Carnegie set to work as a lowly telegrapher in the 1850’s. By the 1860’s, his investments in railroads, bridges, and oil derricks gave him the means to develop US Steel; THOMAS EDISON – while he is best known for inventing the modern electric light bulb in 1878, he was also one of the fathers of the modern electrical grid…The impact of this innovation has been staggering. Prior to the electrical grid, the only available lighting was sunlight during the day and gas-powered lamps at night. In 1882, however, Edison took the world by storm, introducing one of the first commercial electric grids in the world; SAM WALTON - was the mastermind behind Wal-Mart. After opening his first store in 1962, Walton vowed to remake the retail industry in the vision of his radical cost-cutting philosophy. By 1966, his fledgling chain was up to 20 stores and growing fast. As of August 31, 2008, there are now in the United States: 4,227 total units, and Internationally: 3,210 total units. There are countless numbers of Visionary people like STEVE JOBS and BILL GATES and the development of the Computer; etc.

The one thing common for all Visionaries is that they stretched themselves beyond any self-imposed limitation or confinement. They looked at the possibilities and translated that into reality. It was acting upon what they saw in their minds-eye – a dream – a vision – a possibility! John C. Maxwell does excellent work in the area of Leadership. In a recent book, PUT YOUR DREAM TO THE TEST, he gives encouragement and guidelines to bring Dreams to Realities. He writes: “For me, the whole process begins with questions I must ask myself. The dream is always rooted in the dreamer, in his or her experiences, circumstances, talents, and opportunities. I ask: WHAT AM I FEELING? - What are my emotions telling me?; WHAT AM I SENSING? – What is my intuition telling me? WHAT AM I SEEING? – What is happening around me?; WHAT AM I HEARING? – What are others saying?; and WHAT AM I THINKING? – What do my intellect and common sense say? If I can get a good sense of where I am, what I know, and what I want, I’m on my way to clarifying my dream…”

In JOEL 2:28-32, the prophet speaks to the people of his day about future events – things that can be anticipated and that will become realities. He writes: “And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, YOUR OLD MEN WILL DREAM DREAMS, YOUR YOUNG MEN WILL SEE VISIONS. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved…” These dreams and visions are to give fair-warning that the end is near and tremendous events will occur. Some will choose to ignore it! The wise will make preparation for it! Consider these things with me.

No comments: