Thursday, June 25, 2009

Argentina Acquiescence

From My Perspective - - -

To acquiesce means: “A silent or passive assent or submission, or a submission with apparent content; distinguished from avowed consent on the one hand, and on the other, from opposition or open discontent; quiet satisfaction.” South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford conducted an agonizing Press Conference yesterday afternoon. It was his Moment For Truth! A brief summary states: “After going AWOL for seven days, Gov. Mark Sanford admitted Wednesday that he had secretly flown to Argentina to visit a woman with whom he was having an affair. Wiping away tears, he apologized to his family and gave up a national Republican Party post, but was silent on whether he would resign as Governor. ‘I've been unfaithful to my wife,’ he said in a news conference in which the 49-year-old governor ruminated on God's law, moral absolutes and following one's heart. He said he spent the last five days crying in Argentina.”

Ironically, the confession by the Governor can easily be linked to: "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" the best-known song from the 1978 musical Evita with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. It appears early in the second act as Evita addresses the crowd from the balcony of the Casa Rosada and features a sweeping melody tied to broad emotional themes of regret and defiance…” Some of the Lyrics parallel the recent events in the Governor’s life and journey:
“It won't be easy, you'll think it strange; When I try to explain how I feel; that I still need your love after all that I've done. Don't cry for me Argentina; The truth is I never left you; All through my wild days; My mad existence; I kept my promise; Don't keep your distance.
And as for fortune, and as for fame; I never invited them in; Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired; They are illusions; They are not the solutions they promised to be; The answer was here all the time; I love you and hope you love me.
Don't cry for me Argentina! Have I said too much? There's nothing more I can think of to say to you. But all you have to do is look at me to know - That every word is true!”


Some of the email between the Governor and Maria border on the erotic. Parts of two emails indicate the intricacy and extent of the involvement of an “innocent” friendship. From the Governor: “In the meantime please sleep soundly knowing that despite the best efforts of my head my heart cries out for you, your voice, your body, the touch of your lips, the touch of your finger tips and an even deeper connection to your soul…” From Maria, described as the mother of two sons, she wrote in an email on June 9, 2008: "You are my love…Something hard to believe even for myself as it's also a kind of impossible love, not only because of distance but situation. Sometimes you don't choose things, they just happen…I can't redirect my feelings and I am very happy with mine towards you."

Once again, truth and moral values get squeezed out of a person’s life for a passing pleasure. One is reminded of the words in JEREMIAH 5:1-5, “Run up and down every street in Jerusalem, says the LORD. Look high and low; search throughout the city! If you can find even one person who is just and honest, I will not destroy the city. Even when they are under oath, saying, As surely as the LORD lives, they all tell lies! LORD, you are searching for honesty. You struck your people, but they paid no attention. You crushed them, but they refused to turn from sin. They are determined, with faces set like stone; they have refused to repent. Then I said, But what can we expect from the poor and ignorant? They don't know the ways of the LORD. They don't understand what God expects of them. I will go and speak to their leaders. Surely they will know the LORD'S ways and what God requires of them. But the leaders, too, had utterly rejected their God.” Crying in Argentina for five days because the truth will be disclosed is one thing! Weeping in repentance because of Moral Failure, violating his Marriage Covenant, ignoring his duty to his four sons, and disobeying God’s Word and standard is another. Some would judge this man severely and harshly – but all should be reminded – but for the Grace of God, go I! Consider these things with me!

No comments: