Friday, May 16, 2008

Pain Relief

I was just thinking about - - -

If one takes the time to visit in a Nursing Home facility; or a local Hospital or Medical Center; or a host of other Medical Complexes within a given area, one finds there are many people concerned with the various maladies of life. In many instances, Pain Management is becoming a growing Practice and Treatment area.

People confront and adjust to all types of Pain. Some who struggle with the complex economic pain and issues of our time, call a Church or some other Relief Agency seeking assistance with Bills and Food. Some who struggle with mental pain - Anxiety, Depression, or an Inability to Cope - are referred to a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. Others who have difficulty with Joints and Bones causing pain seek out a reputable Orthopedic Clinic for recommendation and/or Surgery to replace the area of discomfort or malfunction. Those who struggle with ancillary pain, such as Migraines, Arthritic Limitations, and Bone injury seek out a Pain Management Clinic for recommendation and management of the pain.

If one goes to a Drug Store, or a Pharmacy Section in a larger all-purpose Chain Store, shelves are stocked with all kinds of over-the-counter possibilities for Pain Relief – pills, capsules, lotions, creams, etc. – by the hundreds and thousands. It is estimated that in the USA Americans consume more than 29 Billion Aspirin each year. And there are other similar products – Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Naproxen – and countless others that are bought and used to manage Pain and to find some Relief.

It’s interesting to note the area of Spiritual Pain. In Ecclesiastes 2:17 through 26, a man considered to be wise, wrote: So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me…a chasing after the wind. I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me... This too is meaningless. So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun. For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless. A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God…”

There are no simple answers for the complex needs one confronts, but a sustaining answer to all situations needing Pain Relief were uttered by Jesus Christ in Matthew 11:28 through 30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Try it! You might like it!

Think about this with me - - -

1 comment:

Garet said...

Cognito Ergo Doleo

(I Think, Therefore I Am Depressed.)

:-)

Garet