Thursday, November 21, 2019

ALONENESS


Just Some Thoughts To Think About – ALONENESS.

An old song contained these lyrics: “Have you ever been lonely; have you ever been blue…If you knew what I've been through Then you'd know why I ask you -Have you ever been lonely; Have you ever been blue?” Another song written by Rodgers and Hammerstein contains the lyric: When you walk through a storm hold your head up high…Walk on, walk on With hope in your heart And you'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone. For many years, Jerry Lewis anchored a Labor Day Weekend Telethon to raise funds in behalf of those with Muscular Dystrophy. At the end of the long telecast, He would always sing the above lyrics to: “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”

Today’s Blog is a little bit different in that it will contain a couple of disjointed true stories. When I was a Freshman in College, I was invited to be part of a Trumpet Trio that consisted of a Graduate Student, a College Senior and me. When he graduated, the lead Trumpeter wrote me a note: “Be sure to toot your own horn – no one else will toot it for you.” Later on, after completing graduate studies, a colleague whose Uncle was Director of a large Mission Board and whose Father, who had been a successful businessman and who served as Vice-President of the Graduate School said to me: “You’re making a mistake by not befriending making contact with those who can assist you to advance – you are friendly with those who cannot help you in that way.”

Most of the above references are expanded upon in some of the books I have written, such as: Realizing Significance and My Incredible Journey. The significance book was based upon Mark 4:23 and “the other little boats” who were endangered by a storm at sea. The disciples awaken Jesus to have Him assist them to survive – but – no mention and no concern is mentioned about the other little boats who were facing greater danger of perishing.

As we approach a Thanksgiving Holiday, my mind goes out toward those who through no choice of their own – essentially other little boats – who are alone. A couple of weeks ago a man came to our home and asked me for help. I have known him for several years – I’ll call him “Willy.” He is a black man who seemed desperate for funds to meet some need. He asked for a specific amount and I gave him what I could. But – it bothered me that I didn’t do more for “Willy.” My wife and I drove to the section where I thought he lived and a neighbor directed us to his Trailer – but it seemed to be deserted. We returned a couple of more times and my wife went up to a man and asked him about “Willy.” We had intended to give him a Turkey for Thanksgiving but “Willy” wasn’t home – he is very sick in a Hospital.

It brings home to me the words of Jesus in Matthew 25:31-46 when He speaks of the separating of the sheep from the goats. Jesus was looking at people – not on the basis of racial or financial status; not on the basis of what a “Willy” could do for someone – but the heart-commitment of the sheep versus the goats. In Matthew 25:34-36, Jesus said (to the sheep): “Come...I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”

Jesus wants us to know that the focus is not us and positions we attain – but – the down-trodden and lonely – and how we reached out to them.  There are a lot of people just like “Willy” who need a friend and/or a helping hand. They are alone and they need to feel the touch of The Master’s Hand by means of your reaching out to them.

Prayerfully – Consider these things with me.


No comments: