Thursday, August 24, 2017

PRAYER

I Was Just Thinking About – PRAYER.
What is prayer? How frequently should a Biblical Christian pray? What should be – what can be - included in prayer? An online dictionary defines prayer as: “A solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.” In CARM (Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry), Matt Slick responds: “Prayer is the practice of the presence of God.  It is the place where pride is abandoned, hope is lifted, and supplication is made.  Prayer is the place of admitting our need, of adopting humility, and claiming dependence upon God.  Prayer is the needful practice of the Christian.  Prayer is the exercise of faith and hope.  Prayer is the privilege of touching the heart of the Father through the Son of God, Jesus our Lord.”
The Westminster Shorter Catechism 98 asks and answers: What is Prayer? “Prayer is an offering up of our desires unto God for things agreeable to his will, in the name of Christ, with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgment of his mercies.” Some of the Biblical reasons attached to this answer include Psalm 62:5-8 (NIV), “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken…He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” I John 5:14 assures us, “And this is the confidence that we have before Him: If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” How one’s Prayer is formulated is crucial. What does one believe about Prayer and its formulation? Jesus indicated, John 16:23-24 (BSB), “Truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. Until now you have not asked for anything in My name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.” Is this how your prayer is formulated and what you truly believe when you pray?
It is vital to come before the Lord with openness about one’s life, deeds and actions. Daniel 9:4-10 is an excellent guideline for Confession of Sin, both personal and national. Another vital aspect of Biblical Prayer is the giving of thanks to the Lord. Psalm 136 is an outline and list of that for which one can and should be thankful. All giving of thanks is based upon the mantra throughout the Psalm, “His love endures forever.”
Jesus was very clear in Matthew 7:7-8 (BSB) in what is referred to as an A.S.K. acrostic: “ASK and it will be given to you; SEEK and you will find; KNOCK and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who ASKS receives; the one who SEEKS finds; and to the one who KNOCKS, the door will be opened.”
How often should one pray? I Thessalonians 5:18 states: “Pray without ceasing (without hesitancy; continually; persistently; never stop or give up).”
Prayerfully – consider these things with me.

No comments: