Friday, January 11, 2013

LEAVING A LEGACY


From My Perspective - - -

We’re about ready to complete the second week of the New Year 2013. You may have begun this year with high hopes and ambitions expressed in Resolutions. Usually, ones resolutions focus on fleshly habits and desires, such as – lose weight, exercise more, be more friendly, get family priorities instituted, etc. Very seldom, very rarely does ones resolutions deal with Attitudes and Spiritual Commitment. This would be the place for focus on spiritual development and growth, such as displaying a more forgiving spirit; being more ambitious in terms of Kingdom priorities; displaying the reality of the fruit of the spirit in one’s life; being more kind and tenderhearted toward others; desiring to seek to live more in the presence of the Living God; and being committed to taking a serious God seriously.

In Alabama, when one thinks of Paul William “Bear” Bryant, his/her mind and conversation shift immediately to football and his unique coaching ability. In that regard, Bear Bryant is legendary. However, how many know that he kept a daily devotion in his wallet that was meaningful to him and expressed a goal of his life? The devotion, part of his legacy, reads:

This is the beginning of a new day, God has given me this day to use as I will. 
I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important. 
Because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. 
When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever. 
Leaving something in its place I have traded for it. 
I want it to be gain, not loss – good not evil. 
Success, not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.

Another historic person who left an important legacy is John Newton. Most know the name and associate it with the hymn, “Amazing Grace! How Sweet The Sound.” What captivated and brought John Newton to that time and place when he penned the words to that hymn? It is said of him: “He was, in his earlier life, a really thorough rascal, a genuine scoundrel, having been a slave trader and engaged in many of the other crimes and sins of his day. But God's amazing grace saved him, cleansed him and made him into a famous Preacher and Pastor. At the age of 82, Newton said: My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things, that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior. No wonder he understood so well grace -- the completely undeserved mercy and favor of God. The Epitaph on Newton's tombstone reads: John Newton, Clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a servant of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, preserved, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the faith he had long labored to destroy."
A far greater testimony outlives Newton in the hundreds of hymns he wrote, not the least of which is Amazing Grace. He penned 12 stanzas to that Hymn but two that had special meaning for him were:

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound! That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, But now am found Was blind but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear. And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believed!

What legacy will you leave behind and be remembered for? What will your epitaph be? What will be known and appreciated as your legacy? Hopefully, it will be similar to that of the Apostle Paul in II Timothy 4:7-8, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” At the end of the day, what Attitudes will you have adjusted? What Spiritual Commitments will you have made? What Legacy will you leave behind? Consider these things with me!

No comments: