Friday, June 18, 2010

Dad's Day - Make It A Special Day

From My Perspective - - -

Some of us were not fortunate to have a Dad to be part of our lives and/or to serve as a role model. Some have only vague memories of a brief time with the one called Dad. Dad’s have a unique opportunity to invest their lives in their children so they will be enabled to be responsible and mature adults in their generation. In my case, my Dad became ill and was removed from our home when I was five years of age – he would die when I was seven years of age. Over the years, I have clung to all that I have left of a childhood memory of my Dad – the last Birthday Card he sent and signed, and the last gift he gave me (still in its original form after almost seventy years). I occasionally look at that card and gift and muse with some what ifs. All of the what-ifs are subjective and will be forever unknown.

I became a bit nostalgic as I read and thought about an article from the pastor’s weekly briefing. The following is most of that article. In is entitled - FATHERS: THE PRIDE OF THEIR CHILDREN. Carey Casey is the CEO of national center for fathering. The national center for fathering has a wealth of information that might be used by leaders…in developing a strategy to reach and mature America's Dads. The Weekly Briefing indicates - based on the U.S. Census data and projections, there are 64,300,000 Dads in our country. Of that number, there are 26,500,000 Dads with children under 18 now living in the United States. That represents a whole lot of influence. I have long believed that the difficulty the church is having in our society can be traced to the low number of fathers actively involved in the Body of Christ (The Church). I can't prove it. I just feel it.

"The National Center for Fathering has a survey for those dads who will take the time to read it that helps put into perspective the true role of Fatherhood. They deal with issues such as:
• I often discuss things with my child.
• I praise my children for things they do well.
• I know what encourages my child.
• I am a good example to my children.
• I try not to vary much in the way I deal with my children.
• I read the scriptures with my children often.
• I express affection to my children.
• My child and I often do things together.
• I know what motivates my child.
• My children know what to expect from me.
• I pray with my children.
• I tell my children they are special to me.
• We have a family worship time in the home.
• I teach my children skills.
• I talk about spiritual things with my children.
• My child and I have fun together.
• I tell my children I am proud of them.

These are just a few of the topics that questions on the survey ask about. But, they are very revealing, even for Dads and Granddads…Father's Day Sunday can be awkward, but it can also be a lot of fun, because Dads really do like to laugh at themselves. I am hopeful that Father's Day for you and your family will be very meaningful. "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents (fathers) are the pride of their children" (Proverbs 17:6)."

I would have loved to have known my Dad but that wasn’t the case. There are just a few pictures of him and the lingering thoughts of what might have been. The Heavenly Father does fill that void in many lives – but those of you who can – don’t forget your Dad and Granddad – they would love to know that you care about them. Consider these things with me!

No comments: